At Arnold House, Science is a popular subject and is studied throughout the School. Within the subject, boys are exposed to a variety of topics covering those in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
In Years 1 to 4 Science is mostly delivered by the class teacher in their rooms and from Years 5 to 8 Science is taught by subject specialists with Secondary School experience in the Science Laboratory.
From Years 5 onwards, boys are prepared for 13+ Common Entrance or Scholarship exams with emphasis on conducting experiments in a methodical manner. We encourage boys to take an interest in Science related reading material outside of school to enhance their knowledge within the subject.
The broad aims of the Science Department are as follows:
- to maintain and stimulate boys' curiosity, interest and enjoyment in Science
- to enable boys to be familiar with a body of scientific knowledge and vocabulary
- to enable boys to understand and use scientific method safely
- to enable boys to work independently and in partnership with others
- to develop a sense of awareness for the relevance and implications of Science, past, present and future, for the individual, the community and the environment.