At Arnold House, Science is taught from Year 1 to 8. In Years 1 to 4, Form Teachers teach Science in their classrooms. In Years 5 to 8, specialist Science teachers take their lessons mainly in the Science Laboratory.
Boys are prepared for 13+ Common Entrance and Scholarship exams. There are a number of science-based clubs that take place during break times and after school to further boys' curiosity about and knowledge of the subject. These currently include: Mad Scientist Club, Bug Club and Space Club.
The broad aims of the Science Department are as follows:
- to maintain and stimulate boys' curiosity, interest and enjoyment in Science
- to enable boys to be familiar with a body of scientific knowledge and vocabulary
- to enable boys to understand and use scientific method safely
- to enable boys to work independently and in partnership with others
- to develop a sense of awareness for the relevance and implications of Science, past, present and future, for the individual, the community and the environment.